For 50 years, Boiler & Turbine Shop No.2 of Sredneuralskaya GRES has generated 153 billion kWh of electric power. This volume would be enough to cover the energy needs of 13 cities as large as Yekaterinburg in a year. For the 50 years that Boiler & Turbine Shop No.2 has existed, the heat energy generated could cover the needs of 13,000 schools, designed for 800 pupils. This could be possible if production was 45,108 Gcal.
On this day in 1968, the director of the power plant, Boris Fedorovich Ilkov, signed an administrative order for the formation of Boiler & Turbine Shop No.2 at Sredneuralskaya GRES. Dmitry Salazkin was appointed the first Head of the Shop. It was he who started to hire new personnel for the shop, giving preference to young employees, who were eager to learn and improve their professional skills.
It is worth mentioning that Konakovskaya GRES, which is now a production branch of PJSC Enel Russia, was one of the power plants to organize a personnel training program for the newly established SUGRES shop.
From 1967 to 1970, three 300 MW turbine units were installed at SUGRES. This took the power plant capacity to 1,278 MW, thereby making the Sredneuralskaya GRES the second coal-fired power plant in terms of rated capacity.
In 1980s, the power plant completely switched to natural gas.
Today, the rated electric power of Sredneuralskaya GRES is 1578.5 Mw, thermal – 1,327 Gcal. Sredneuralskaya GRES is one of the biggest thermal power sources in Sverdlovsk Oblast: it accounts for 30% of thermal energy and hot water consumed by Yekaterinburg and it covers about 100% of the needs of nearby cities Verkhnaya Pyshma and Sredneuralsk. SUGRES accounts for 10% of electric power generation in the power system of Sverdlovsk Oblast.
Based on the equipment at the power plant, we can study the history of the country’s power sector development: there you can find both the turbines of the 1930s and modern 419 MW CCGT power plants.