This year, the purpose of World Day for Safety and Health at Work is to raise awareness about workplace stress and to promote early recognition and management of the associated risk factors.
At Enel Group, safeguarding the psychological and physical wellbeing of workers is a top priority. The company is thus carrying out numerous initiatives around the globe to teach colleagues how to prevent stress and promote organizational wellbeing.
To cite just a few examples, in Chile there will be theatrical performances, relaxation activities, workshops and discussions, in addition to the Consejos que dan Vida campaign that started last March. Moreover, a survey on psychological and social risks was conducted among EGP colleagues to measure stress levels. In Peru, a stress management training programme has been developed, and the day will feature massage and smile therapy sessions, distribution of anti-stress accessories and contests. Brazil will see colleagues being asked to share and assess the stress-related issues they find most important, and there will also be a fun run against the sedentary lifestyle. Targeted communications will be run in Argentina, while Colombia will see relaxation and healthy eating workshops with ‘active’ breaks featuring physical activities to help with stress management. Colleagues in Costa Rica will watch videos and participate in group relaxation exercises. In Guatemala, they will video-conference with the management to talk about health and stress.
A stress management workshop will be held in Athens, Greece, while in Spain colleagues will take part in a series of workshops and discussions on stress management at six Endesa sites.
In Russia Health Safety Environment Quality Department prepared quite useful pieces of advice how to get rid of stress and anger or reduce their negative effect.
- The first and the most effective way to fight stress is to avoid it. If someone or something makes one boil, the best option may be to leave.
- A person may think about some trifle, like a view in the window or a recently read book.
- Sometimes frantic excitement can be caused by body dehydration. Even if worries are not groundless, the water you drink helps body to recover and will give a significant relief.
- Slowly inhale, count to ten and exhale. This simple exercise will help to balance the emotions.
- If some problem festers a person for a quite long period of time a good option is to find a new hobby or activity. What is more activity could be any: starting from sports or gardening to knitting or playing video games. For example in Enel Russia we have a good traditions we are proud of: arranging such good activities as industrial gymnastics in offices and organizing volunteer and sport events for our employees where they can take their mind of work.
- And last, but not least most universal piece of advice is: if life gives you lemons get yourself together and make lemonade out of these lemons. Every new challenge can be turned into an opportunity and instead of blazing with anger one can spend his energy on thinking how to improve his position.
If you have a willing you can follow the link and find a video with more pieces of advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvvJpgE21pM&nohtml5=False
Be happy and keep calm!
In Italy, in Milan for example, there will be wellness jogging in the park, a workshop with a physician specialized in workplace stress and wellness cooking, featuring a cooking contest for sharing tips on healthful cooking.
Also, in Romania, there will be a workshop on stress in Bucharest, organized by specialist physicians, as well as a series of training activities on health and safety at the plant.
The course «Prevention and management of workplace stress» is also available for all colleagues on the ELS platform in Italian, English, Spanish and Portuguese.
For more information, visit the intranet sections Global Health & Safety and People Care.